Description: The SOM Prize in architecture, design and urban design is a $50,000 research and travel fellowship that enables one outstanding student to do in-depth research, collaborate with other designers, and pursue independent study outside the realm of established patterns. In addition to the grand SOM Prize, the Foundation also awards a $20,000 travel fellowship to the second strongest candidate.
Amount of scholarship: $50,000 Top Prize; $20,000 Travel fellowship
- Intent to apply: April 19, 2010
- Portfolio submissions: July 19, 2010
- Winners announced : August 6, 2010
Requirements / eligibility:
- Candidates must have graduated or be graduating between July 1, 2009 and June 30, 2010 with a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited U.S. school of architecture, urban design or design. Attendance at a U.S. school and graduation a must; U.S. citizenship not required.
- Candidates should be academically accomplished, demonstrate the highest design aspirations, and intend to enter the professional practice of architecture, design or urban design.
Skidmore, Owings and Merrill Foundation
224 South Michigan Ave, Suite 1000
Chicago, IL 60604
Contact Name/ Title: Lisa Westerfield, Administrative Director