Amount of Scholarship:
3200 CHF is provided for all successful candidates – full tuition, travel, housing, excursions, and social events.
Scholarship Deadline: February 15th 2011
The Summer Research Program in Life Sciences and Technology at the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), will offer an intensive research training opportunity to 25 undergraduate students interested in research careers in life sciences. This program will run from July 4th to August 26th 2011.
- Must be enrolled in a degree program in basic, engineering, or life sciences and planning on pursuing a career in the life sciences.
- Must be in good standing with a GPA equivalent to a "B" grade or higher and should have completed at least 2 years of undergraduate coursework by the summer of 2011.
Applicants must submit a complete on-line application, including the following:
- Completed application form including a personal statement (maximum 1000 words) describing the student's academic background, scientific interests, any previous research experience and what he/she hopes to accomplish from attending the summer research program.
- Official copy of the student's university academic transcript.
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty or instructors who are familiar with the student and are in a position to assess the student's capabilities and potential for a career in science.
The summer research fellowships will be awarded on a competitive basis taking into consideration several criteria including the student’s academic record, personal statements and letters of recommendation.
The intensive nature of the program requires full-time commitment (~40 hours/week) from the participants. All the participants are required to attend and participate in all scheduled events and activities related to the program. Therefore, participants may not attend another summer school or commit to other activities during the duration of this program that could interfere with their work schedule.
Benefits to the Students:
The participants will:
- Gain hands-on research experience and training with exposure to cutting-edge research.
- Experience what it is like to be a member of a research community working at the forefront of science, medicine and biotechnology.
- Have the opportunity to apply what was learned in the classroom to understanding and solving actual research problems in the laboratory.
- Acquire a better understanding of the scientific process and the application of the knowledge gained from basic science research and state-of-the-art techniques to solve complex problems in biology and medicine.
- Improve their critical thinking skills, including learning how to evaluate scientific information, design experiments, formulate ideas and test hypotheses.
- Explore career opportunities in academia by experiencing the excitement, frustration, and challenges of scientific research and gain an insight into what a career in the science entails.
- Prepare for future independent research projects and advanced research in graduate school.
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alice Emery-GoodmanOffice (FSV):SV 3813Tel: +41 21 693 07 94Fax: +41 21 693 18 email@example.com
For more information and application: http://sv.epfl.ch/summer-research
(Pictures, FAQ, Application, Detailed information)